[slime-devel] Re: New user, and keybindings revisited

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Thu Dec 4 10:59:23 UTC 2003

"Håkon Alstadheim" <haalst at online.no> writes:

> That's about as far as I've come, but one thing that struck me was
> that M-, is not "FIND-NEXT-*".

I knew this day would come :-)

> ... I would like it if slime switched from using the slime-specific
> "SLIME-FIND-DEFINITION-HISTORY-RING" into using the normal
> GLOBAL-MARK-RING. That way one could use C-X C-SPC for popping back,
> and have M-, free for some future SLIME-EDIT-NEXT-FDEFINITION.

`pop-global-mark' isn't really the same thing though, since the global
mark ring only gets pushed if you have switched buffers. I often chase
through several definitions in the same file and want to step back one
at a time.

Our M-, is really like M-* (pop-tag-mark) with etags. The idea of
using M-, instead of M-* was that it's easier to reach after pressing
`M-.'. I think M-* is a really awkward binding.

Now we've also added a command that goes to the next definition (like
M-, in etags) on `C-M-.'. Perhaps it would be good to swap our
bindings of `M-,' and `C-M-.'.

Any thoughts/objections to that idea?

(I think C-M-. can only be entered in a window system, and not in an
8-bit terminal. M-* could also be bound as an alternative.)

Cheers,
Luke