[Seattle] Fwd: Seattle CL People?

Clint Moore clint at ivy.io
Sat Feb 14 00:29:25 UTC 2015

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 3:29 PM, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've given up.  Really.

  Don't do that, you have to remain optimistic!  Sure, there's a lot of
stuff that isn't exactly what you want, but there are a ton of really good
ideas.  And hey, if you lack optimism, there's quite a few tools out there
that will help you write your own language - LLVM chief among them.  It
seems interesting to note that, in the vein of game development, NVIDIA's
CUDA compiler is written on top of llvm.
https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-llvm-compiler

  When you're about to give up, try to remember that you're living in 'the
future' and the idea of creating your own language to solve a problem like
yours isn't quite so crazy as you might have been led to believe.

  Then again, there's Haskell, which might very well be a good solution
these days.  There's a 4 year old thread on SO at the bottom of this
message if you're curious.  Haskell is my #2 language, especially when
speed is a concern.

  I had thought I had grown out of evangelizing languages but here we are:
Haskell is worth the effort, but that's just my opinion.

http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/374/what-are-the-challenges-and-benefits-of-writing-games-with-a-functional-language