[Seattle] Fwd: Seattle CL People?

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 15:22:05 UTC 2015

Oops, meant to send to the list.

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 8:32 PM, Clint Moore <clint at ivy.io> wrote:

>   Am I the only human left on this list?

I'm on the list.  But I've not been in Seattle since 2007, and the last
time I remember attempting to do something with a lisp community was in a
similar time period.  I remember there being some guy who had worked on a
lisp distro packaging technology, me getting on his mailing  list, and me
getting kicked off his mailing list.  I probably said something about how I
thought a packaging system should work.

> That would be rather sad.

It's still sad.

Actually I say I'm designing my own language now, something "better than
assembly code".  But not much progress lately.

As of a few years ago, my assessment of the Common Lisp universe was that
anyone who once had the energy for standards, promotion, adoption, etc. is
now too old, and past their generational energy, to bother with such
things.  New generations learn their own things, and although they may use
many design ideas of lisp, they're just not going to use Common Lisp for
the most part.  For instance, Julia claims some lisp ancestry.
http://julialang.org/

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every