[LispSea] LispSea logo

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 20:00:12 UTC 2006

Daniel J Pezely wrote:
> Brandon wrote:
>
>> Looking at http://www.seattle.gov/ , I propose
>> some version of the Space Needle as a symbol for Seattle.
>>

> Be mindful that any representation of the Space Needle
> would require permission from the Space Needle Corporation.
>
> They're rather protective of their registered trademark
> "image or likeness".  Likewise, the Chief Seattle statue in
> Belltown (I believe) would also require permission of the
> City.
>
> It's not impossible and won't necessarily cost anything.
> There's just an extra step required.

I have trouble with the legal concept of them being able to stifle "any"
use of the Needle, whether concretely or abstractly expressed.  I doubt
it, but I'm not up on trademark law with regards to conspicious
architecture.  Especially architecture that used public funds for its
construction.  I can see them going after people anyways, even if they
don't really have a case.  But you have to be on the radar for there to
be a case.  I think getting sued by the Space Needle Corp would be proof
of our success!

> PS - Alternatively, I considered a variation on the
> http://alu.org planet within parens with a "you are here"
> marker.  I couldn't quite get the right angle of Earth
> with my cell phone camera, though.

The shapes have a nice roundness.  Thematically I like the globe, as for
me it invokes world conquest.  I think what's needed is an Earth without
clouds, with the Puget Sound centered, so that the Pacific Northwest is
apparent.  I wonder if recognizability can be achieved in a small logo.
Can't quite judge from the ALU logo, with the clouds in the way.  I will
experiment with this when I have time.  One of my 3D demos could be an
Earth zoom.  I've attempted planetary rendering before, for my would-be
game Ocean Mars.  What a fiasco; that's the project that drove me to
seek languages other than C++.  Time to try again!

I'm going to guess that the ALU isn't using this as a terribly serious
trademark.  It's cute but it looks like someone's home job, not
something that's been through the legal wringer.  Also, I'm imagining
they'd be interested in any "rotate the planet to your local Chapter"
software.  It does create a wrinkle though: does anyone notice the
difference between LispSea and the ALU and any other chapter of the ALU?

I just realized that Seattle could be crosshaired by latitude and
longitude.  Make an open circle at the intersection, like a city on a
map.  That could distinguish any chapter.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every