[LispSea] A 'get things done' app (in Lisp)

Justin Grant jgrant27 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 06:09:15 UTC 2006

On Jun 12, 2006, at 9:37 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> I'm curious:
>
>   1. Exactly what would implementing a LispSea web site demonstrate?
That Lisp can be practical and useful for web development.

>   2. What does someone get that they don't have already using well-
> known
> tools, servers, and infrastructure services?
The chance to learn some Lisp practically. Even if there are
experienced Lisp hackers they may want to spend some time learning
some things about using Lisp for web development that Paul Graham has
known for over a decade.

>   3. What makes Lisp killer for web sites?
A little imagination can answer this question better than I ever could.

>   4. How much is just plain work that has to be done no matter what
> the
> server-side technology is?  What impact is there on client-side
> technology?
> (Ajax, etc.)
Lisp has as much impact on client-side technology as any other meta-
language. Not very much.

> This is not something I would have thought is in the Lisp sweet
> spot.  I'm
> asking because I don't know the answer to these questions and I
> wonder what
> is appealing about that case.
It's not a Lisp sweet spot. Yet. Neither was Ruby until recently but
this doesn't seem to be important anyways.

Anyway, the point is not to build a web framework in Lisp. If that
happens as a side-effect, then cool.
The value is in getting the members of the group involved while
writing some Lisp code that has a practical use for us.
It doesn't need to be a web app, in fact something else would be a
nice change but what would gain more visibility for the group than a
web-app we can say was implemented in Lisp itself ?
LispSea 3D demos would help very much in this regard for the 'oooh
aaahh' effect. They need a place to live though...