[LispSea] Re: starting point

Daniel J Pezely djp06 at speakeasy.net
Fri Jun 9 20:55:17 UTC 2006

Brandon wrote:
> If the goal is to get business people interested in Lisp, wouldn't an
> Eastside venue such as Bellevue Community College or Digipen be more
> appropriate?

    The business aspect is more of an outreach project.  We'll most likely work with the WSA, ACM or perhaps UW to issue surveys.  Subsequent interaction might take the form of a 1 or 2 day conference, and Meydenbauer Convention Center in Bellevue might be appropriate.

I'm not expecting business executives to attend presentations by Lisp programmers.

Such a conference might involve the Assoc. of Lisp Users (ALU) for legitimacy and would most likely be a year away.

    Promoting Lisp is a longer-term effort.  First, we need to resolve important logistic details within the Lisp community itself.

For example, with Python, you have "one stop shopping" for nearly all your needs.  With Lisp, first it's which flavor?  Then, which implementation?  And of course, there is the matter of de facto libraries.  (With Common Lisp, ASDF and ASDF-install should be standard but aren't because they arrived after the ANSI spec.  With Scheme, you have the Revised^nth game...)

Within a business perspective, these details add complexity, which in turn adds risk.

    In an effort to resolve all this, the early sessions I described yesterday are a first step.  After a few months, maybe we'll come out with our own InstallShield-built packages or perhaps LispBox will be even more mature.

    Or maybe we merely each contribute a blurb to the new Lisp FAQ project:
http://www.lispniks.com/faq/faq.html

Either way, much of the activism is to get Seattle programmers more involved and contribute that much more to the Lisp community at large.

By working together, the amount of work by any one individual remains quite small, but for any of us to do it alone would be more than a full-time job.

I'm a practical idealist. :)
-Daniel