[LispSea] starting point

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 09:50:05 UTC 2006

Daniel Pezely wrote:

> I'm looking into reserving a classroom at Seattle Central Community
> College, even though this group has no direct affiliation with any
> school.

If the goal is to get business people interested in Lisp, wouldn't an
Eastside venue such as Bellevue Community College or Digipen be more
appropriate?  Or a business; it's actually best to avoid schools with
students if you want business people.  Anyways, on the Seattle side,
between SCCC and U. Washington, mightn't the latter have more CS clout?
I'm just having a very hard time seeing business people showing up at
SCCC.  Who does the WSA usually hit on for meeting space?

> Topics: While there is LispBox, which does a good job of getting you
> started, my first presentation will be to move beyond the learning
> mode.  Likewise, since installing a free common lisp system involves
> more than extracting a tar file or even knowing tweaky 'configure'
> options, the first session will probably be this: MacOSX + sbcl +
> Emacs + Slime with VirtualPC running FreeBSD (aka, fixing the
> reddit.com model).

Fine to see.

One of the problems of Common Lisp is "gee how do you try this out for
cheap on Windows?"  Relevant in this town.

I dumped the Bigloo Scheme-to-C compiler and started looking at Common
Lisp to get into a bigger developer community, with more standards and
possibly jobs.  But on Windows, for games, dealing with C FFIs, and on a
limited budget, there was no "common" in Common Lisp at all.  Each
implementation was a right unto its own.  That's no better than the
Scheme universe, so I moved on to the Chicken Scheme-to-C compiler.
Somewhat less performance than Bigloo, somewhat larger community, better
source license (BSD rather than GPL), has some C++ support, has SWIG
support.  I've made the right decision for the game industry, which is
what I'm stalking, but I have no idea in any other development space.
I'm clueless.

I've been trying to get the Chicken MinGW build up to snuff for 9 months
now.  I'm almost done.

Some brave souls have been trying to port SBCL to Win32.  Judging from
archives such as http://sbcl-internals.cliki.net/Win32 there's been real
progress, but it's not ready for prime time.

There is of course CLISP on the cheap and well supported side, but it's
only an interpreter and that's not very exciting.  Maybe there are some
market segments where interpreter-only is fine, but I have a performance
prejudice and tend to regard such things as toys.  If anyone can
demonstrate anything "significant" in CLISP I'd change my tune,
particularly if there's money in it.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every