[rucksack-devel] Stability

Henrik Hjelte henrik at evahjelte.com
Tue Dec 7 12:37:12 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Jochen Schmidt <js at crispylogics.com> wrote:

> Am 07.12.2010 um 12:32 schrieb Henrik Hjelte:
> Do you have the fix for the error shown by the stress test? Or is it
> actually already in current rucksack?

I checked, it is in rucksack since 3 years. How fast life goes by...

I've a modified snapshot of rucksack here which makes parallel reader
> transactions possible. The current official rucksack isn't particularily
> well suited for web applications, because it serializes all transactions.
> I've implemented a multi-reader single-writer transaction for rucksack and
> deployed several simple web apps using it (1-n rucksack accesses per
> request). In about a year running those apps I didn't have any lost data or
> other problems.
>
> Perhaps we should throw our code together and put it up somewhere (Github?)
> for others to use.

Or rather your code, it sounds very interesting, I suggest talking with
Arthur Lemmens about it.

It's a pity that elephant still seems to depend heavily on external
> libraries or systems. Last time I looked elephant still used FFI for
> serializing lisp-data. Rucksack is cool because it is actually nearly 100%
> just CL - its a really simple drop in persistence solution where others are
> always a PITA to install and maintain.

I agree it is cool with a pure CL solution, and rucksack is nice. But for me
actual usefulness often beats cool. There are several people dabbling with
elephant, and patches and improvements are welcome. There is some work going
on in making it more pure-CL. I would really like if there was a project
where everyone could contribute to do something that was both more pure CL
and scalable across servers/fast/nice. I am sort a lot of people besides me
have been dreaming of various solutions.

/Henrik