[rucksack-devel] memory usage of rucksack.

Helmut G. Enders helmut at cybernetic-systems.de
Thu Sep 18 10:22:31 UTC 2008

Can somebody estimate the memory usage of a rucksack query,
   does it grow (disproportionate) to the increasing size of the
   data in rucksack (e.g. loading big btrees into the image etc.)
   (rough estimate +- 20 MB would be ok).

Helmut

Background:

I have bought an Alix Board
     http://www.alix-board.de/produkte/alix2c3.html
in a
     http://www.alix-board.de/produkte/case-alix2c3.html

using a standard Debian installation and sbcl.

It is an ideal hunchentoot server, fast,
no moving parts, no fan, no noise,
energy consumption ca. 5W, powered over Ethernet,
three NICs (for the folks, who can't live without iptables (DMZ) :-)

the only bottleneck is memory 256 MB.

The system wird iptables, squid, dnsmasq, etc. needs ca. 20 MB,
sbcl with my lines of code, hunchentoot, rucksack et al.  needs ca. 45 MB.
Remains ca. 190 MB.

One of my apps (warehousing) has an 800 MB image (all articles
are in the image). The result of a query are max 3-4 MB of article
data.  Are the remaining ca. 190MB of the board enough, if porting
it to rucksack, even if the rucksack grows to 5 or 10 GB
(within the same scenario)?