[rucksack-devel] state of the onion

Arthur Lemmens alemmens at xs4all.nl
Tue May 27 18:57:44 UTC 2008

Tiarnan O'Corrain wrote:

> what is the current status of rucksack?  Is it considered to be stable
> and usable for (somewhat) important applications, or is it still in
> 'alpha' mode?

I'd say it's somewhere between alpha and stable ;-)

Apart from the problem reported by Tayssir last week (see the mailing
list archives), I'm not aware of any open bugs.  Of course there's lots
of room for improvement, but I guess there always will be.

That said, I've only used Rucksack in situations where I could recreate
the data from external sources when necessary and I still haven't used
Rucksack for applications where data is critical.  Nor have I heard from
other people who have used Rucksack for such apps.  So if you're planning
to use Rucksack that way, I think it would be wise to tread carefully and
make frequent back ups.

Arthur