[rucksack-devel] Indexed classes

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Thu Jan 17 19:03:00 UTC 2008

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:51:26 +0100, "Henrik Hjelte" <henrik at evahjelte.com> wrote:

> I really like the rucksack code and design, but it has a major
> problem and that is that it doesn't work with several connected lisp
> processes.

AFAIU that's not a "problem", but a design decision.  If only one of
your processes accesses the database, then code which takes care of
concurrency is unneeded overhead (and will maybe introduce new bugs).
If you have more than one process, there are locks.

> That makes it an impossible choice for many applications.

Really?

> So my suggestion on a contribution is to fix that. Perhaps add a
> client-server option using iolib?

Well, it's Arthur's code, but my take on this is that the major
advantage of Rucksack over almost all other Lisp persistence packages
is that it is pure Lisp.  Introducing a foreign library just for this
task seems like a very bad idea to me.

Edi.