[rucksack-devel] How do you use rucksack?

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 13:43:58 UTC 2007

> > I began to investigate building a simple application over the weekend,
> > along the lines of an addressbook, and I thought I'd give rucksack a
> > try for the persistent storage facility.  However, I quickly ran up
> > against the problem of wanting to delete objects from indices.
>
> Yeah, that's becoming something of a FAQ.  You may want to try out the
> brand new RUCKSACK-DELETE-OBJECT function, which removes an object from
> the root set (if necessary) and from all class and slot indexes in which
> it appears.  I committed this function to the CVS repository today.

you probably already consider adding weakness support for persistent
collections and references, but i throw it in just in case...

it could be another piece in the puzzle to mimic the way the VM and
the GC is managing the heap: you keep one or more strong collections
and/or references that represent ownership or something that should
keep the object alive, and use weak collections/indices/references
where you are just using them for optimization or at a semantically
weak connection between two objects (if there is such thing at all
which does not qualify as an optimization).

for slots this could be either a slot option (probably simpler) or a
wrapper struct that is automatically stripped by
slot-value-using-class from the slot values.

just some 0.02,

--
- attila

"- The truth is that I've been too considerate, and so became
unintentionally cruel...
 - I understand.
 - No, you don't understand! We don't speak the same language!"
(Ingmar Bergman - Smultronstället)