[rucksack-devel] string-index range searching?

Cyrus Harmon ch-rucksack at bobobeach.com
Fri Jan 12 21:44:13 UTC 2007

On Jan 12, 2007, at 1:38 PM, Arthur Lemmens wrote:

> Cyrus Harmon wrote:
>
>> is it possible to do range searching on a string-index? full
>> substring searching might be a bit much to ask, but it should be
>> fairly trivial to support "starts with" queries over the existing
>> indices.
>
> I suppose you could implement "starts with" queries with some creative
> use of the :MIN, :MAX, :INCLUDE-MIN and :INCLUDE-MAX arguments for
> RUCKSACK-MAP-SLOT.

Yes, and I was supplying the wrong slot name in my rucksack-map-slot
form, which is why this wasn't working. getting creative with :min
and :max basically seems to work.

> Efficient substring searching is a different matter.  I suppose you
> could define your own substring-searchable-string-index data
> structures
> for that, but I haven't thought about it very much.

Certainly. I'm considering exploring montezuma's text indexing
capabilities here. OTOH, mapping over the slots and using something
like cl-ppcre, while not something you would want to do a lot of with
a million objects, should work with the existing API.

Cyrus