[rucksack-devel] tests

Arthur Lemmens alemmens at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 12 20:49:03 UTC 2007

Attila Lendvai wrote:

> i'm planning to implement some new features in the 5am testsuite and
> i'm also planning to play with rucksack. so it came as a natural idea
> to test-drive the new 5am features by converting/extending the
> rucksack test-suite. (optionally loadable rucksack-test system,
> asdf:test-op, etc)
>
> i wonder if you like this idea?
>
> or the idea of using bordeaux-threads (for the crossplatform locking
> primitives)?
>
> or depending on alexandria and anaphora for useful common utils?
>
> i can voulenteer to do these if you are not against them.

I'm against all of them, to tell you the truth.  I try to avoid
dependencies on other libraries for Rucksack, unless such libraries
have very big and obvious advantages over the way that things are
currently done.

The most important thing for Rucksack at the moment is to make it
usable for real-world projects.  That means that it must become more
reliable, that it must be made faster in some spots and that it must
get more and better documentation.  Any help with that is very welcome.

Reports about actual experiences of using Rucksack (like the messages
that Cyrus sent recently) are also very welcome.  But introducing more
complications without big improvements to compensate for them is not.

> also, i've created a darcs conversion of the cvs repo. if for any
> reason you prefer darcs by now then feel free to grab the converted
> darcs repo and use it as the official.

No thanks.

Arthur