[rucksack-devel] rucksack performance

Arthur Lemmens alemmens at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 12 08:51:04 UTC 2007

Cyrus Harmon wrote:

> Ok, so if I remove the (:index t) line from the defclass form, it's
> fast, and works, but I can't seem to get the indices to appear by
> redefining the class.

That's right.  If you remove the (:INDEX T) class option, it becomes
impossible to find all instances of the class.  So that makes it
impossible to do a re-indexing step later.

> if, OTOH, I delete the :index forms from the slot definitions, but
> leave the (:index t) in the class definition, things start of ok, but
> then I get this familiar error message (oh, and this is when batching
> 500 make-instances at a time into a transaction; or at least I'm
> doing a transaction-commit every 500 items, hoping that that's doing
> what I think it is):
>
> There is no applicable method for the generic function
>    #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION RUCKSACK:P-CAR (1)>
> when called with arguments
>    (#<RUCKSACK:PERSISTENT-ARRAY #85564 in #<STANDARD-CACHE of size
> 10000, heap #P"/Users/sly/projects/cyrusharmon.org/cl-bio/ruc$
>     [Condition of type SIMPLE-ERROR]

I'd say this is either a bug in the btree code or a bug in the garbage
collector.  Could you turn off garbage collection, and see if you still
get this bug?

Arthur