[rucksack-devel] rucksack performance

Arthur Lemmens alemmens at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 12 06:41:21 UTC 2007

Cyrus Harmon wrote:

> so it looks like the p-find call down inside leaf-insert is slow and
> conses a lot.

Yes, that sounds plausible.

> what's the point of doing a sequential scan every time we add something
> to the index?

That's a sequential scan through the elements of a btree node, not through
the entire index, right?  Yes, that's on the top of my list of things to
speed up once I have everything working.  It could easily be replaced by
a binary search through the elements of the node, for example.

And if that doesn't help enough, my idea was to create some specialized btree
data structures for some special cases that occur often in practice (like
string indexes).

Arthur