[rucksack-devel] Using rucksack for simple object serialization.

Klaus Harbo klaus at mu.dk
Fri Sep 29 07:25:30 UTC 2006

Luís Oliveira wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking into the possibility of using rucksack at first for
> simple object serialization. I have two questions. a) Is rucksack
> stable enough for such use? b) Since the serialization stuff in
> serialize.lisp does not handle object circularity by itself, does
> rucksack provide some other API to serialize objects to a stream?
>
> Thanks in advance,

I am using rucksack's serializer for exactly that, without any problems
whatsoever.  Ripping out serialize.lisp is quite straightforward, although it's
not quite stand-alone, it needs a few things from another file, I don't have
file the files for reference right here.

As Arthur says, you may want to look at CL-STORE as well.  The reason I chose
this approach is (1) I'm quite interested in rucksack, (2) I dare not use
rucksack for production work quite yet, and (3) this would get me started
getting to know rucksack and working with the code.

-Klaus.

PS.  I have also upgraded the serializer to be able to serialize to a vector of
(unsigned-byte 8).  It's not clear that that is useful to rucksack, but let me
know if you're interested in a patch.