[rucksack-devel] SHARED-INITIALIZE calling (SETF SLOT-VALUE-USING-CLASS)

Arthur Lemmens alemmens at xs4all.nl
Sun Sep 3 21:45:22 UTC 2006

Hi Pascal,

While working on Rucksack I noticed that Lispworks (5.0) does not
seem to call (SETF SLOT-VALUE-USING-CLASS) for the slots that it
initializes in SHARED-INITIALIZE, whereas SBCL (0.9.16) *does*
call (SETF SLOT-VALUE-USING-CLASS) in that situation.

Have you ever noticed this difference?  Can you confirm it?  Do you
know if the MOP specifies one way or the other?  Can you think of a
way to get Lispworks behave like SBCL, or the other way round?

Which is the better approach, according to you?  I was a bit surprised
when I found out that Lispworks' SHARED-INITIALIZE did not call
(SETF SLOT-VALUE-USING-CLASS), but then I programmed my way around it
and forgot about it.  Until SBCL users started testing my nifty new
indexing and schema update features for Rucksack, and complained about
stack overflows ;-)

Thanks for any insights you may have on this subject,

Arthur