[rucksack-devel] inherited slots

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Wed Nov 29 07:43:28 UTC 2006

Cyrus Harmon <ch-rucksack at bobobeach.com> writes:

> I just wanted to follow up any on this. Any further ideas as to
> whether or not this is 1) a good idea and 2) possible?

I'm not Arthur, but I thought there was a reason why doing that
for inherited slots was nasty. Not that I can put my finger on it
right now, so call it intuition.

> Thanks,
>
> Cyrus

>>> I think there may be some technical reasons (related to the MOP), but
>>> I'm not sure.  I'll look into this, because I agree with you that
>>> this
>>> is something that you may want to do in practice.
>>
>> Thanks for looking into this. To be fair, I'm not sure that this is
>> the _right_ thing to do, but rather it's what I expected to happen
>> when I first tried playing around with the code. I think the
>> existing behavior is reasonable too, although my naive preference
>> would be for all slots to be persistent. If there are MOP-ish
>> reasons for this not to be the case, so be it. But, again, at first
>> glance, it seems like it would be nice to somewhat trivially make
>> persistent versions of existing classes.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> Cyrus

Cheers,

  -- Nikodemus              Schemer: "Buddha is small, clean, and serious."
                   Lispnik: "Buddha is big, has hairy armpits, and laughs."