[rucksack-devel] inherited slots

Cyrus Harmon ch-rucksack at bobobeach.com
Wed Nov 15 08:34:48 UTC 2006

On Nov 15, 2006, at 12:30 AM, Arthur Lemmens wrote:

>> Sure, that would work, but I'm imagining the case where person comes
>> from some other library, and I want to make a persistent version of
>> it. As it stands now, I have to redefine the slots in persistent-
>> person to make them persistent. Why not make all slots persistent
>> instead of only the slots that are defined in a class whose metaclass
>> is persistent-class?
>
> I think there may be some technical reasons (related to the MOP), but
> I'm not sure.  I'll look into this, because I agree with you that this
> is something that you may want to do in practice.

Thanks for looking into this. To be fair, I'm not sure that this is
the _right_ thing to do, but rather it's what I expected to happen
when I first tried playing around with the code. I think the existing
behavior is reasonable too, although my naive preference would be for
all slots to be persistent. If there are MOP-ish reasons for this not
to be the case, so be it. But, again, at first glance, it seems like
it would be nice to somewhat trivially make persistent versions of
existing classes.

Thanks again,

Cyrus