[rucksack-devel] Re: Rucksack, ECLM

Arthur Lemmens alemmens at xs4all.nl
Thu May 18 09:58:27 UTC 2006

Nikodemus wrote:

>> I see no reason to prohibit reading them, but yes: changing them
>> is not allowed.  (I should probably add a check for that.)
>
> Reading them is effectively prohibited anyways: if the Rucksack
> is closed the proxy cannot fetch the value...

Well... in principle something like

(with-rucksack (...)
   (let (x)
      (with-transaction ()
         (setq x (make-instance 'persistent-something
                                :foo "xyz")))
      (do-something-with-foo)))

might work, because DO-SOMETHING-WITH-FOO wouldn't need to dereference
any proxies in this case.  But I agree with Marco that we just shouldn't
allow this, even though it may work in some cases.

Arthur