[regex-coach] Apparent crash on complex regex in "Tree" tab

era+regex=coach at iki.fi era+regex=coach at iki.fi
Tue Sep 13 07:01:33 UTC 2005

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 10:01:04 +0200, "Edi Weitz" <edi at agharta.de> said:
> On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:32:22 +0300, era+regex=coach at iki.fi wrote:
> Somehow the answer of Martin Simmons from LispWorks doesn't
> show up on gmane.org so instead of providing a URL I include it here.
<...>
> 1 point is 1/72 inch, we should have the identity:
> point-size = 72 x pixel-size / resolution

My understanding of this is imperfect, but I think I have an
explanation.

While the unit "typographical point" is 1/72 inch (in the American
system -- European didot points are a slightly different size) this is
not what the font scaler is using. Instead, it uses the display DPI,
which can commonly be 72 dpi or 96 dpi, but in this case is something
like 120 dpi (another fairly common size). In fact I hand-tweaked the
dpi setting in the X server so it's exactly right for my display, and
not any particular standard size.

 vnix$ xdpyinfo | fgrep -e screen -e dimensions -e resolution
 default screen number:    0
 number of screens:    1
 screen #0:
   print screen:    no
   dimensions:    1920x1440 pixels (410x305 millimeters)
   resolution:    119x120 dots per inch

In my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (like XF86Config with XFree86), I have the
following hand-addition under Section "Monitor"

        # http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=20976
        DisplaySize     409 304         # millimeters

(As you can see, the X server rounds the size I passed in -- I haven't
figured out how to make it not do that. Tweaking the numbers ever so
slightly causes it to round them to some other random number ...) The
link in the comment is to an article which explores some font issues --
it's not particularly well-structured I'm afraid, but that's where I
picked this up. (I haven't done most of the other tweaks suggested on
that page.)

/* era */

--
If this were a real .signature, it would suck less.  Well, maybe not.