[qitab-devel] default (interactive) output mode for run in inferior-shell

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 22:42:57 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 5:21 PM, huang ying
<huang.ying.caritas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Most shell programs (bash etc) use "inherit from parent" as default, why
> inferior use "redirect to /dev/null" as default?

That's a good question. Probably because I'm using inferior-shell at
the SLIME REPL,
and that the parent streams are then on their own inferior-lisp emacs
buffer, at which point
:interactive as the default is confusing. Also, there was a point at
which :interactive
did something magic with the input — which is only a bit less the case
now, but still.
Also, that's a bad default to have in a multithreaded setting.

I suppose I could change function run-spec in run.lisp to have
an explicit keyword argument (output :interactive) and pass it to run-program.

Does anyone else care to comment? Is anyone else using inferior-shell,
and would filled with either joy or sorrow at such a change?

Panties: not best thing on earth, but next to it.