In CLOS, instance remorphing considered useless in practice?

Marco Antoniotti marco.antoniotti at unimib.it
Wed Dec 9 11:07:39 UTC 2020

Jean-Claude

the point is that CLOS is not a "library", although it was certainly
possible to implement it that way..  It is an integral part of CL "as is".

I see that the discussion has gone ahead, but here is my 2 cents. I don't
have much time to work on it due to my day job (and other - retrocomputing
- distractions).

First of all there are several issues with CL which need to be clarified.

   - Some time ago, I started looking at reviewing the condition
   hierarchy.  The motivation being the fact that
   (read-from-string "I-AM-NOT-A-PACKAGE::FOO")
   yields different conditions in different implementations.  This is just
   an example: there are many, many more.
   - If your really want to help a "smart enough compiler" to produce fast
   code, what about writing up a precise explanation, wrt the current CL
   standard of what an extension like
   (defclass foo (a1 a2 ... an)
      (... slots...)
      (:sealed t))
   should actually do?
   - I still would like to be able to write an interval arithmetic package
   in Common Lisp (yes; I may have hooked up a student to finish the grunt
   work of producing an initial spec that could be discussed in detail.
   - Can we have a common and Common Lispy network interface?
   - Did I mention
   (pathname-device some-pathname)
   ?

The list can go on.  But what I have in mind are all clarifications and
extension to the CL spec as is.  Not that there aren't libraries out there
that do some or most of what I have in mind, but that's' the way things are
right now.

All the best

Marco

--
Marco Antoniotti, Associate Professor         tel. +39 - 02 64 48 79 01
DISCo, Università Milano Bicocca U14 2043 http://bimib.disco.unimib.it