Call for Interest: Clojure (or Lisp?) Code Camp with BLM focus

Martin Cracauer cracauer at cons.org
Thu Dec 3 14:55:22 UTC 2020

Didier Verna wrote on Thu, Dec 03, 2020 at 03:47:02PM +0100:
> Pascal Costanza wrote:
>
> > This was primarily for the lack of good parallel, concurrent garbage
> > collectors in Common Lisp implementations.
>
>   I'd be curious to know if there are particularities in CL itself that
>   make this difficult, or if it's simply because there's no manpower to
>   improve the GCs we have currently.

No, it's as possible as in other languages.

Some people don't want to pay the overall performance penalty for
concurrent GC (as in total CPU time/energy spent for any given piece
of work).

This particularly applies to applications that are query-based, and
hence want to be as fast as possible in the non-GC part, and can GC
between queries.  ITA's QPX is an example (although they do desire
concurrent GC for better monitoring in the production environment).

Parallel GC is no problem and implemented.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer at cons.org>   http://www.cons.org/cracauer/