Pre-submission discussion: code walking

Antoniotti Marco antoniotti.marco at disco.unimib.it
Sun May 12 09:32:40 UTC 2019

HI

> On May 8, 2019, at 18:24 , Michael Raskin <38a938c2 at rambler.ru> wrote:
>

> Thank you for your comments.
>
>> *   The proposal requires the presence of a CDR-NN package. Such a proposal should be made separately.  FTTB if CDR-14 is used, only the CDR-NN feature should be provided.  I would be in favor of a new CDR stating that a CDR-XX nickname could be added to a package implementing a given feature.
>
> I thought that maybe I don't want to create too many proposals at once. I see, I will split.
>
>> *   The proposal as is may not be portably implemented by a third party without resorting to implementation support which may or may not be there.  The problematic operators are WITH-PARENT-ENVIRONMENT and ENVIRONMENT-ENTRY-NAMES.  Do you see any way to provide it in a simple (read: non SBCL) way?
>>
>> Finally, COPY-ENVIRONMENT may and LEXICAL-ENVIRONMENT also be problematic.
>
> Note that B-level and C-level support requires some properties of underlying implementation that do not currently hold for many popular ones.

I may have misread the proposal, but, AFAIU, even what you call “Level A” cannot be easily provided without a commitment by the implementations.

> Also note that I want to provide common names for much more functionality than I want to require. It is enough to have WITH-AUGMENTED-ENVIRONMENT for B-level complieance, and COPY-ENVIRONMENT (or standalone AUGMENT-ENVIRONMENT) is not required even on the C-level. It is purely a «please tell me if you already provide this».
>
> Frankly, I think SLIME wants to do something that boils down to ability to define ENVIRONMENT-ENTRY-NAMES, so that shouldn't be too bad.
>
> LEXICAL-ENVIRONMENT has very weak requirements, I think on most implementations it can be defined by a third-party library.
>
> WITH-PARENT-ENVIRONMENT is definitely completely optional — on the other hand, if the implementation never tracks parent environments, it is OK to always have NIL there.

LW already has SYS:MAP-ENVIRONMENT which looks like ENVIRONMENT-ENTRY-NAMES, so, yes, it is definitively doable, like everything else, given a “sufficiently supportive implementation/vendor”.

I just feel that CDRs should not make too many requests on the implementation.

Apart from that, I would also note that listing names should not be sufficient for a CDR.  Functions and macros signatures should also be described (*), as well as types.

As for the specific content, I would also explicitly refer to the CLtL2 Environment Section 8.5.

All the best

Marco Antoniotti

(*) To the chagrin of the folks at Franz (you-know-why 3:) 3:) 3:) )

--
Marco Antoniotti, Associate Professor		tel.		+39 - 02 64 48 79 01
DISCo, Università Milano Bicocca U14 2043			http://bimib.disco.unimib.it

Please check: http://cdac2019.lakecomoschool.org
Please check: http://troncopackage.org
Please check: https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/7394/network-bioscience

Please note that I am not checking my Spam-box anymore.
Please do not forward this email without asking me first (cum grano salis).