Common wisdom on arithmetic (IEEE)

Bob Cassels bobcassels at netscape.net
Mon Nov 5 15:19:18 UTC 2018

The reader should be able to read -0.0, and the printer should print it as -0.0.

(= 0.0 -0.0)
(not (eq 0.0 -0.0))
(eql 0.0 -0.0))

Infinities should just be floating-point values, not symbols. You should pick a way to print them and read them. I hope you’d pick one of the ways that current implementations use, rather than invent a new one. I’d suggest using what we used at Symbolics, but I don’t remember what that was. I would assume it starts with 1e / 1d, -1e / -1d, but I don’t remember what we used after that.