emacs lisp mode, mailing list?

Mark H. David mhd at yv.org
Thu Jun 21 22:50:49 UTC 2018

OK, well I'm wondering if anyone remembers the keybinding M-RET (meta
return), within a semi-colon (;) comment, which used to wonderfully both
start a new line, but also continue the comment at the same indent
level, same number of leading semi-colons, with a space after.  Example:
You're here, and your cursor is where the * is:

   (defun foo ()
      ;; blah blah blah*

and you type M-RET. Next thing that happens is the cursor is on the next
line where the * is, and the lines then look like this:
   (defun foo ()
      ;; blah blah blah
      ;; *

What happened to that functionality?  I thought it was there for years,
I'm pretty sure on the Lisp Machine and I think for years in regular
Emacs in Lisp mode.  It got ingrained in my fingers, and I often still
try it, but of course now all I get is: M-RET is undefined
Thank you.