Common Lisp Blockchain - Scheme Coin

David McClain dbm at refined-audiometrics.com
Tue Dec 19 10:41:59 UTC 2017

>> And the conversions to octet vectors may work for strings, but not in general for arbitrary integer or float values…
>
> I’m not sure what you mean there.  This code?
>
> (defun to-byte-array (x)
>  (let ((retval (make-array 0 :adjustable t
>                            :fill-pointer t
>                            :element-type '(unsigned-byte 8))))
>    (map 'nil (lambda (c) (vector-push-extend (char-code c) retval))
>         (format nil "~A" x)) ;
>    (coerce retval 'ironclad::simple-octet-vector)))
>
> I would think the ~A in the format would give a solid textual representation for any type that has a printable expression. Am I incorrect in that?

Sorry, I might have got a bit ahead of myself there. But in general, objects that might be involved in a transaction could have values that are difficult to print.

Take for example a structure, or a class instance. And for floating point values, the ~A is too lenient in terms of digits printed, rounding, etc. This code will also be dependent on the current value of *PRINT-BASE*, which I noticed that you permanently set to 16 along the way.

But I saw your intent, and I substituted my own network byte encoding which handles everything except compiled closures.

- DM