Anyone interested in "package versioning"?

Anton Vodonosov avodonosov at yandex.ru
Sun May 22 11:33:08 UTC 2016

19.05.2016, 11:00, "Hans Hübner" <hans.huebner at gmail.com>:

> The real issue though is data types defined by versioned libraries.  Suppose that an instance of a data type defined in library A version 1 is passed, through higher levels of the software, to version 2 of that same library.  How would one ever expect that to work?

Can that happen without us on the higher level knowingly passing object created by one API, to another, incompatible API, which doesn't accept such objects?

I was thinking about that too, but now it appears to me that if incompatible changes in API are marked as such (e.g. by giving the API new name), we always know that the second API is incompatible and can not accept this object.

Do you have examples? It would be interesting to explore this problem further.

Best regards,
- Anton