Anyone interested in "package versioning"?

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed May 18 05:19:41 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 12:21 AM, Jean-Claude Beaudoin
<jean.claude.beaudoin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi CL Pros,
>
> I just came across a post on Quora by Robert Smith where he mentions the
> idea of assigning some sort of "version" to Common Lisp packages in order to
> improve code configuration control.
>
> This seems to me to be a pretty neat and interesting idea!
>
> Has anyone of you explored such a concept, or know of anyone that did?
> Or, is anyone of you curious about it?
>
> I think pretty seriously that I will implement something like this as a CL
> extension in my upcoming MKCL 2.0.

ASDF already has some notion of system version.
There were some discussions on the list on how to make it extensible,
if you care for more than its "semantic versioning".

But really, if you really care about configuration control, what you
need is a whole-world build system like NixOS or Bazel. No amount of
hacking ASDF will take you remotely near there.

See also chapter 9 of my Houyhnhnm saga:
http://ngnghm.github.io/blog/2016/04/26/chapter-9-build-systems/

Uniquely in us, nature opens her eyes and sees that she exists.
       — Raymond Tallis (1946–)