Should GC hooks be used to help broken software?

Elias Mårtenson lokedhs at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 00:06:27 UTC 2015

On 5 July 2015 at 01:20, Vsevolod Dyomkin <vseloved at gmail.com> wrote:

Did you consider adding a configuration variable that turns this feature on
> and off and can be used to set up environments differently for
> dev/test/prod?

No, I didn't. Mainly because I really don't think one option is better for
dev and another for prod.

Based on your replies, it seem like most people would expect a Lisp library
to simply *work* as best as possible rather than do exactly what it's told.

Therefore, I'm starting lean towards using a GC hook here, even though the
complexity of the GC'ed object is much more complex (the connection having
a processing thread, for example) than the only other time I've actually used
this <https://github.com/lokedhs/cl-gss/blob/master/src/cl-gss.lisp#L48>
feature for effect (which only had a simple native object that needed to be
freed).

Regards,
Elias