Testing and concurrency

Eli Naeher enaeher at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 15:57:50 UTC 2014

Hello,

Recently I've begun writing tests which need to do things in several
threads. I'm curious as to what approaches other people have taken when
doing this, and whether any of the CL test frameworks address this
situation specifically.

Some of the things I've run into:

- detecting, handling, and reporting conditions that are raised in threads
other than the main test/reporting thread
- ensuring that the main test thread waits for the other threads before
checking for the correct results (and before returning)
- forcing things in different threads to happen at the same time (I've been
using SBCL's timers for this)

Any thoughts or pointers toward best-practices here would be appreciated.

Thank you,
-Eli