[pro] Langutils

Nick Levine nick at nicklevine.org
Fri Aug 22 12:18:16 UTC 2014

> Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 12:28:47 +0100
> From: peter <p2.edoc at gmail.com>
>
> Not only does Langutils not work (although it can seem to load OK in
> some contexts), but it can be tricky to unpick such as
> langutils-tokenize::tokenize-stream with its many layers of macro
> and readtable optimizations.

Googling leads straight to http://common-lisp.net/project/langutils/
and thence to langutils-devel at common-lisp.net, which might be a good
place to ask about this.

> It doesn't seem so obvious as to where to find who might have
> unpicked this already. Or find documentation behind a system and its
> design intent. I.e. although perhaps nothing should be in Quicklisp
> unless pure and solid, it can be quite a goose chase to try to hunt
> down remedies when that does not seem the case.

I don't _think_ it's Quicklisp's concern to ensure how well things
work, only that loading one doesn't break another. Some QL libraries
come with test-suites, and others do not.

But I agree that library quality / support are important parts of
library discovery: if you don't know which ones are generally thought
of as good, or which ones have an active support network, how can you
ever choose between them? Solving the library discovery problem is
probably rather people-intensive, which I imagine is why nobody's done
it. I'm told other languages suffer from this too.

- nick