[pro] AMOP question: When and where is slot-value-using-class called?

Jean-Claude Beaudoin jean.claude.beaudoin at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 04:35:42 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 9:48 PM, Steve Haflich <shaflich at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm typing on a phone in a dog park. Expect brevity and typos.
>
> Why do think one or another behavior is incorrect? slot-value is required
> only to return the correct value (etc.) if all the metaobjects are of
> classes "specified" in the standard. The MOP prohibits you from changing or
> extending MOP gfs when all the discriminating args are of specified
> classes. If you use customized class or slot-definition metaclasses then
> slot-value needs to obey some or all of the full slot-value-using-class
> protocol, but otherwise your code cannot legally change what s-v does or
> returns.
>
> This is spelled out somewhere in the MOP in a section on restrictions on
> user code or something like that.

I think I found the subsection you refer to: AMOP  5.3.1 (pp. 142-144)
"Implementation and User Specialization", which contains two
sub-subsections with titles starting with "Restrictions on".
I will try to decipher those and their implications now that I have renewed
motivation to do so.

Thank you very much Steve, you're always so helpful in these matters.