[pro] Heartbleed?

Max Rottenkolber max at mr.gy
Sat Apr 26 12:18:08 UTC 2014

On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 06:13:03 -0700, David McClain wrote:

>> . The design is just plain wrong.
>
> Is that statement the benefit of hindsight knowledge, or do you have a
> more intelligent thought process behind it? (I can imagine the
> all-knowing smirk in the background, but I'd really like to know :-)

The exact opposite of all-knowing ;). In my opinion the TLS standard is
too complex. Parts of it like the keep-alive, which is also a path MTU
checking *framework*, as criticized by me (and further down discussed
with Pascal).

Many security professionals have criticized the TLS committee for their
standards. As a side note: OpenSSL has roughly 500k lines of code, I
don't think its feasible to assure security on a code base of this
magnitude.

If I imagine to implement a security protocol, e.g. "this code should be
kept short and really really safe", and be confronted with e.g. the
Heartbeat extension, I imagine despair.

So my conclusion is, a widely used security standard should be engineered
well enough to be possible to implement correctly, even in a 4 digit ANSI
C code base.