[pro] Heartbleed?

Jean-Claude Beaudoin jean.claude.beaudoin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 05:35:57 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:31 AM, Scott L. Burson <Scott at sympoiesis.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 7:29 PM, Steve Haflich <shaflich at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Take for example aref, which might be used to
> > extract octets of characters or whatever from a buffer.  aref makes no
> > guarantees even in safe code that it will signal bad array bounds.
>
> I've long thought that was an oversight, though now that you point it
> out, I realize I must have been mistaken.
>
> Still, it surprises me.  I don't know of any implementation that
> doesn't bounds-check aref under normal speed/safety settings, and
> clearly, users expect them to do so.

I am surprised too. I always understood it like you Scott but now that
re-read
the page on aref I see that it is exactly like Steve says, no mention of any
exception and a statement that "subscripts" must be a list of valid array
indices
right from the start of the call to aref. Yet that leaves me even more
curious
to know which implementation has read the spec as strictly as Steve says
it can be even under (safety 3)? Does anyone know any?