[asdf-devel] :DBG

Steve Haflich shaflich at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 11:34:44 UTC 2013

I'm jumping into this a little late, but writing as an X3J13 member who
voted on these things, the reason for not placing definitions on keyword
symbols is the same as the prohibition against placing special variable or
global operator definitions on symbols inherited from the CL package, or
any other package of which one I'd not the author.

The arguments why one might want to do this were expounded early in the
thread. The danger is collision. When an acknowledged CL expert like Hans
or Kenny places a definition on an inherited symbol, he obviously knows
what he is doing, has good reason, so it should be ok. But when some idiot
neophyte comes along and does exactly the same thing, it may be hard to
remember which is who.
:-)