State of common-lisp.net ?

Drew C me at drewc.ca
Sun Jun 16 19:53:46 UTC 2013

Hey,

Thank you for informing me on what is being said behind my back, that helps
me to decide on my future quite a bit :)

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 9:57 AM, Luís Oliveira <luismbo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Clint Moore <clint at ivy.io> wrote:
> >   Who do I need to talk to volunteer to work on common-lisp.net?  I
> poked
> > around the site looking for an email address or something and don't
> remember
> > seeing anything obvious.
>
> The mailing list where common-lisp.net administrators and other users
> hang out is <clo-devel at common-lisp.net>. However, the current state of
> common-lisp.net was not caused by lack of resources. IIUC, one of the
> administrators decided to single-handedly migrate most (but not all)
> of the services running on c-l.net to a new box. In the process,
> Apache was changed nginx, mailman to mlmmj, etc.

Well, in my opinion that is completely different from actually happened,
and given that I am now the only admin of a site that I do not use, and did
not 'decide' to 'migrate' but rather 'did not have the $foo it would take
to keep the box up another month', I am wondering what politricksian you
were speaking with that told you?

Here is the situation :

1) I have never been an administrater of CL-NET till recently, just a
'donation' of the box itself from 2007 or so until the near future.
2) I was told that the business who runs the dedicated service are shutting
down, and the box will go with it.
3) I asked for help, and others who knew apache. exim and mailman to please
help me because I do not know those things.
4) I did not receive any help, and the box was going to be shutdown unless
I paid a lot to keep it up an extra month.
5) I paid a lot, and asked for help again while I had to move things.
6) I tried to moved things over gradually, but the people who do use it for
releases of their software and needed it up, so I paid twice as much to
leave it up for an extra week or so.
7) Now I hear complaints and political talk, yet nobody volunteers to take
over, and apparently there is politricks involved.
8) I still ask for help, and will here again : "I would like some help
because I do not use this site and those who do use it may know a bit more
about that they need"

The issue at hand is therefore political rather than technical.

Can you please inform me of the politricks? The reason that I had to move
from mailman to mlmmj is because I know mlmmj technically, and I know
postmodern and postgresql more then I know exim + whatever. So, having been
the one that 'started the issue' for technical reasons,. would like to know
the politicians who are in competition with me for common-lisp.net, and if
they would like to take over?

I wish that political things were not as important to Common Lispers as
simply having things running, but if folks do not want what I did my best
to keep up, then please contact me about taking over. If you do not want to
take over but simply want something that is not there yet, clo-devel is a
good place to ask I guess.

> >> Meanwhile, the mailing lists are being managed using mlmmj
> >> (<http://mlmmj.org/>) which does not have a web interface, AFAICT.
> >
> >   There must be a very compelling reason to switch if it doesn't support
> > what mailman has by default.
>
> I think everybody shares that sentiment except for the aforementioned
> admin.

Given that I am the only admin, well, I am glad to be told of what others
think of me. thank you ;)

-- drewc