[pro] Sensible interpretation of declarations in CLOS

Daniel Herring dherring at tentpost.com
Mon Oct 29 23:18:34 UTC 2012

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:

> I expected that something more sensible could be agreed upon.

The lack of optimization in CLOS has long been a sore point.

Here are some related reads.

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/comp.lang.lisp/qN6U1f-mE_g/discussion

http://common-lisp.net/~loliveira/tmp/sealing-proposal.txt

PC seems to argue that sealing is not necessarily helpful for
optimization.  I tend to agree, but would still argue that a naive
compiler might only try inlining things that are sealed.

Sealing may also be close to what the Racket community wants.  They
dislike the "growth by mutation" nature of CLOS, and the uncertainty that
comes with it.

- Daniel