[pro] #; comments...

Pascal J. Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Mon May 7 11:58:54 UTC 2012

Pascal Costanza <pc-99OXBJU6cIpeoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org> writes:

>> Yes, there are a lot of ways to implement this. But that's my primary interest (the implementation is trivial).
>
> Pressed the send button too fast: That's _not_ my primary interest…

The implementation may be trivial, but its effects are not.

  (prog1
    #; #-(and) 42
    11)

  (prog1
    #; #; 42
    11)

depending on how it's specified may return a surprising result.  Ie. the
specification of #; would need more than the given one-liner.

Since commenting-out an expression is not meant as a comment, but merely
disabling TEMPORARILY the experession (while debugging/developping),
IMO, it should not use a comment syntax.  #;  is too close to the ;
character used for real comments.

I'd even argue that those "commented-out" expressions should not stay in
the sources.  If we used them it's only because of a deffect of our
IDEs/VCS.  (You could just delete them, and use the VCS to recover them
when needed).

With that in mind, #-(and) or #+(or) are not bad: they stand out and
they make you wonder if you should not just delete the expression.