[pro] #; comments...

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon May 7 11:51:05 UTC 2012

>> 1- Since ASDF 2.019, there is support for :around-compile,
>> that allows you to effectively redefine syntax around a module.
>> Combined with reader-interception, you can portably redefine
>> your syntax to be that of e.g. python, or whatever you fancy.
>> You know where to find emacs modes.
>
> This seems to suggest that this only works for compiled code. What about interpreted code?

I don't know what you call "compiled code", but if that's what you mean,
the perform method of load-source-op also does call that hook.

>> 2- Since well before that, there is named-readtables.
>> I recommend you make your #; syntax available as a named readtable.
>>
>> 3- You can always define a new subclass of cl-source-file,
>> that gets compiled within proper syntax redefinition.
>
> Yes, there are a lot of ways to implement this. But that's my primary interest (the implementation is trivial).

The question is how to provide a modular interface to this and other extensions.
So far, named-readtables is your best bet for simple reader macros,
and reader-interception if you need a complete syntax redesign.

What is mind? No matter! What is matter? Never mind!
        — Bertrand Russell's Grand Mother, In Karl Popper, The Unended Quest