[pro] GPU/CUDA & common lisp

Tamas Papp tkpapp at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 13:54:15 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

I am about to buy a new server for number crunching, and I would like to
keep my options open about GPU/CUDA based computations.  The most
intensively parallelizable thing that I am doing is particle filtering,
and currently that works fine (and is really fast) in a multi-core CPU
with SBCL, but I keep hearing wonderful things about GPUs from people,
and I was wondering if I could make use of them but still program in CL.

I basically have two questions:

- What is the current status of using CPUs for computation in CL (in
particular SBCL)?  All I found was CL-GPU but I haven't tried it yet (my
current server does not have a GPU).

- What hardware is supported (if I want to use CL)?  Can I use something
like Nvidia's TESCLA C line?

Any help/pointers/accounts would be appreciated, I am just exploring this
so I don't know much about it yet, apologies if I am not asking the right
questions.

Best,

Tamas