[pro] Quicklisp's effect on your CL habits

Zach Beane xach at xach.com
Thu Sep 22 16:39:32 UTC 2011

Hi,

I've been trying to learn more about how Quicklisp has changed how
Common Lisp hackers work. When I posed the question on the Quicklisp
list, I got a response from Elliot Slaughter with a point that I hadn't
considered before:

> I think part of what makes Quicklisp successful (in my opinion) is
> that both new *and old* Lisp users love and make use of it. To me,
> it's really magical to be able to cd into my project, start lisp, and
> quickload it, and have it just work, even if I have customized
> versions of some of the dependencies. I think the extent to which
> Quicklisp "just works" but also stays out of the way makes older Lisp
> hackers happy, which in turn makes the community more vibrant because
> library and implementation authors are using the same system that new
> users are being told to use (which wasn't always true with e.g.
> lisp-starter-pack or asdf-install).

As I suspect the "pro" list likely has more old-timers than newcomers,
I'd like to get your take on this idea.

Zach