[pro] [Review Request] Small example of modern application of Common Lisp

Matthew Mondor mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net
Wed Nov 2 14:53:43 UTC 2011

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 18:32:01 -0700
Paul Nathan <pnathan.software at gmail.com> wrote:

> One interesting application might be an 'archiving browser', which caches
> all/most of the sites you visit. Instead of rummaging through google trying
> to figure out what the search terms were to hit that one site (if it's
> still indexed by google and if it's still up), you can instead run a query
> on your local application.
>
> As a personal project, I have been contemplating putting together a web
> spider/index for better web searching; it would be nice to contribute
> components from that to a larger project relating to web storage &
> archiving.

I really like this idea.  There exist a few distributed spider+search
engine projects which could perhaps one day with enough participants
allow to replace commercial search engines, while permitting
unrestricted searches (ever noticed how the public google search
interface used to be more powerful, but was "censored" since?).
Unfortunately, those projects are yet unpopular and could not at all
compete at current time.

A distributed archiving system could also embed such a distributed
search engine...
--
Matt