[pro] Help with Rendering GUIs from Lisp

Matthew D. Swank akopa.gmane.poster at gmail.com
Wed May 18 20:08:58 UTC 2011

On 05/18/2011 10:58 AM, Alexander Repenning wrote:
> Not completely sure I understand what you need ... Control actions [in
> XMLisp] are written in Lisp in a way to make it quite simple to mix 2D
> and 3D content.

Well, this is a mostly a learning exercise. GUI's seem frustratingly
complex. One contributing factor is that most modern toolkits
effectively use a low level implementation language to embed a higher
level UI language.  There are various additional high level tools to
simplify this process,  but my eyes tend to glaze over at the amount of
glue needed to make UI programming palatable to novices like me.

When I wanted to learn about programming, I implemented programming
languages, so I am trying my hand at a toy version of the most direct,
interactive and intuitive GUI I've found: Morphic.

I need just enough graphics programming to associate images with Morphs,
and composite them onto their parents, a process that finally bottoms
out  on the WorldMorph.

Matt