[pro] definitional home

Sam Steingold sds at gnu.org
Mon Mar 28 16:25:08 UTC 2011

> * Ben Hyde <oulqr at cbobk.pbz> [2011-03-28 09:57:40 -0400]:
>
> On Mar 25, 2011, at 9:36 PM, Kazimir Majorinc wrote:
>> "DEFVAR and DEFPARAMETER do the combined service of
>>
>>  - in some implementations, recording the "definitional home" of the
>> variable ...
>

> That reminds me; I desire an implementation independent library that
> abstracts out the recording of the "definitional home."

I am afraid this would be quite hard to do: imagine a variable defined
in different files for different implementations and features.

On the other hand, it you are willing to compromise on implementation
independence, you can use slime: I believe they support many
implementations (each implementation has its own internal idiosyncratic
way to remember where a variable is defined, and they abstract that out
into a common interface).

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on CentOS release 5.5 (Final) X
http://thereligionofpeace.com http://www.PetitionOnline.com/tap12009/