[pro] library configuration

Zach Beane xach at xach.com
Tue Jun 28 15:49:58 UTC 2011

Faré <fahree at gmail.com> writes:

>> I am looking for a portable way to specify configuration for a library
>> before/during loading with ASDF2.  It would be sufficient if the user
>> could specify an ALIST (or something similar) somewhere and I could read/
>> use it when the library is loaded.  Does ASDF2 have a "standard"
>> mechanism for library config files (eg where they are, how to handle them
>> etc), or should I use something else?  I thought of using *features*, but
>> I need actual values instead of merely checking for the presence of
>> symbols.
>>
> ASDF (1 or 2) does not handle C libraries. Extensions to ASDF do.

The question is not about C libraries, but how to express and manage
configuration options that must be initialized before the library is
built.

I think the answer for ASDF is "there is no way to express or manage any
library configuration decisions."

Hunchentoot also has this issue regarding building with SSL, and manages
it by checking for :hunchentoot-no-ssl in cl:*features*. For a
non-boolean option, that's not a workable approach.

Zach