[pro] Some error/condition standardization anyone?

Marco Antoniotti antoniotti.marco at disco.unimib.it
Mon Jun 27 15:47:20 UTC 2011

Hi

I have the following problem (here below in CCL and LW)

CCL:

marcoxa$ ccl
AM I BEING LOADED?
Welcome to Clozure Common Lisp Version 1.5-r13651  (DarwinX8632)!
? (ignore-errors (read))
foo::bar

NIL
#<CCL::SIMPLE-READER-ERROR #xC48489E>
?

LWM:

CL-USER 1 > (ignore-errors (read))
foo:
NIL
#<CONDITIONS:PACKAGE-NOT-FOUND-READER 21BA3B93>

CL-USER 2 >

Other Lisps behave similarly.  I.e. they don't agree on the type of the error that they need to generate.

Now, this is a specific case for me: having a consistent READER-ERROR-BECAUSE-THERE-IS-NO-SUCH-PACKAGE-THAT-THE-SYSTEM-KNOWS error signaled would simplify some code writing.

Doesn't anybody think that it would be a good thing to have a CDR suggesting an agreed upon extension of the CL standard ERROR/CONDITION hierarchy?

Cheers

--
Marco Antoniotti, Associate Professor				tel.	+39 - 02 64 48 79 01
DISCo, Università Milano Bicocca U14 2043		http://bimib.disco.unimib.it

Please note that I am not checking my Spam-box anymore.
Please do not forward this email without asking me first.