[pro] Fwd: "fhash"

Ala'a Mohammad amalawi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 14:32:34 UTC 2011

[Daniel, excuse me for the double post]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ala'a Mohammad <amalawi at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:29 AM
Subject: Re: [pro] "fhash"
To: Daniel Weinreb <dlw at google.com>

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 11:18 PM, Daniel Weinreb <dlw at google.com> wrote:
> I have recently been cleaning this up, one reason being that I'd like
> to open source it.  The function names used to be things like getfhash
> and mapfhash.  Now they are like fhash:get and fhash:map-elements and
> Here are pros and cons of changing it that I can see.
> Con: Common Lisp already uses the name "hash table", so it would be
> easier for existing Common Lisp programmers to see the analogy.

I can see this as a Con only if you will use the same API as
hash-table. However, the fhash library uses different APIs (get,
map-elements) instead of (gethash, maphash). This means the benefit of
knowing/familiarity-with CL hash-table will not help/aid while using
fhash (guessing the API), since I have to lookup (or learn) the new
API wording.

- Ala'a